The American singer-songwriter says it is still unknown whether he’ll be returning to Worthy Farm for Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary
In an interview with Jo Whiley on BBC Radio 2 this evening (November 20) – Beck mentioned the fact that he might be doing festivals next year.
When asked about the possibility of playing Glastonbury 2020, the Loser singer said “I don’t know… we did it two years ago I think… and we’ve done it twice, and it’s always a mud bath whenever we play…”
Mentioning the notorious Glastonbury wether, the American singer-songwriter said “Every time we play they say its the worst rain they’ve ever had” – to which Jo jokingly said “then don’t play then”, with Beck playing along “that’s what I’m telling you, do not let us play… we bring the rain,”.
“I don’t know.. we did it two years ago I think… and we’ve done it twice, and it’s always a mud bath whenever we play…” @Beck on the possibility of playing #Glastonbury2020 – while speaking to @jowhiley on @BBCRadio2… 📻 https://t.co/yA14mv6S1g
— GlastoFestFeed (@GlastoFestFeed) November 20, 2019
Beck – born, Bek David Campbell – played Glastonbury in 2016, and 1997 prior to that – both years had experienced some of the worst weather in the Festival’s history, with 1997 being branded ‘year of the mud’, and 2016 not far from it (some would argue it was worse).
You’re going – very brave 😀 my last time was 1997 when the stage sank in the mud, tent blew away and we slept in the car all weekend! pic.twitter.com/P8A5eatddI
— David Grainger (@GraingerLab) March 15, 2019
— GlastoFestFeed (@GlastoFestFeed) June 23, 2016
You can now listen to the full interview on BBC Sounds – they start talking about Glastonbury at the 57:08 time mark.
Two years after his last record, 2017’s Grammy award-winning ‘Colors’ – Beck’s new upcoming album, ‘Hyperspace’, is set to be released on November 22, and will feature collaborations with Pharrell Williams, Coldplay’s Chris Martin (background vocals on “Stratosphere”), Sky Ferreira (“Die Waiting”) and producers Greg Kurstin and Paul Epworth.
Meanwhile, Paul McCartney was the first headliner to be announced for the 2020 edition of the Festival and joins Diana Ross who was officially confirmed earlier this year as Glastonbury’s 50-anniversary ‘Legends’ slot performer – while Mike Skinner and Carl Cox are the two latest big-scale artists to self-confirm for the Festival’s 2020 bill.
Despite the fact that the full line-up for Glastonbury 2020 has yet to be released – all tickets for the Festival’s 50th anniversary have now sold out, with General Admission tickets selling out in 33 minutes, following Coach + Ticket Packages which sold out in just 27 minutes.
There are still ways to go to Glastonbury next year, and in addition to being able to volunteer – there will also be a resale of any cancelled tickets in the spring, with coach + ticket packages going up for resale on April 16 – followed by a general admission tickets resale (which don’t include travel) on April 19.
Glastonbury 2020 will take place at Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset – from Wednesday 24th to Sunday 28th June.