Now Reading
Coldplay’s Chris Martin reveals a tweet put him off Glastonbury 2020 gig

Coldplay’s Chris Martin reveals a tweet put him off Glastonbury 2020 gig

Coldplay’s frontman had already previously confirmed the band will not be performing at Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary in 2020 – now he reveals the reason…

Following previous confirmation from Coldplay‘s frontman Chris Martin that the band will not be playing Glastonbury 2020 – the “Clocks” singer has now admitted that a tweet about his surprise appearances at Glastonbury 2019 “hurt” him and was what put him off from returning with the band to Worthy Farm next summer.

In an interview with the BBC’s Colin Paterson – aired on BBC Breakfast and Radio 5 Live on Thursday (November 21) – the pair discussed Coldplay’s upcoming double album ‘Everyday Life’.

When asked if there is any chance Coldplay will be playing Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary in 2020, Martin said: “No. I did pop up on stage last year [Glastonbury 2019], and then I saw a tweet afterwards that said ‘you can always rely on him [Chris Martin] to come on in a tracksuit and ruin everything…'”

He continued:  “So I was like, you know what, A- I should work on my trousers, and B- I shouldn’t be online, and C- maybe I should go watch Glastonbury for a year or so…”

When asked if that comment hurt him – “Sometimes these things hurt me, yeah, because I’m human… but that’s ok.” Martin said.

2019 marked 20 years since Coldplay first performed at Glastonbury Festival – with the band making their Glastonbury debut in 1999 long before they’d established their Pyramid Stage residency, and having signed its record deal just a few months earlier. In 2016, they became the first-ever band to headline the Festival four times.

Meanwhile, Paul McCartney was the first headliner to be announced for the 2020 edition of the Festival and joins Diana Ross who was officially confirmed earlier this year as Glastonbury’s 50-anniversary ‘Legends’ slot performer – while Mike Skinner and Carl Cox are the two latest big-scale artists to self-confirm for the Festival’s 2020 bill.

Despite the fact that the full line-up for Glastonbury 2020 has yet to be released – all tickets for the Festival’s 50th anniversary have now sold out, with General Admission tickets selling out in 33 minutes, following Coach + Ticket Packages which sold out in just 27 minutes.

There are still ways to go to Glastonbury next year, and in addition to being able to volunteer – there will also be a resale of any cancelled tickets in the spring, with coach + ticket packages going up for resale on April 16 – followed by a general admission tickets resale (which don’t include travel) on April 19.

Glastonbury 2020 will take place at Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset – from Wednesday 24th to Sunday 28th June.

1
Leave a Reply

avatar
1 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
0 Followers
 
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
Sharon Charity Recent comment authors
  Subscribe  
Notify of
Sharon Charity
Guest
Sharon Charity

Nasty trolls again , he is amazing , I wouldn’t have let them get to me , I av like thousands brought up with a dad that played is favs Sunday mornin on the radio gram , no lie ins for us , hope to get a ticket for is concert , an been in the bussiness 20 yrs he will be there like Diana Ross , Paul McCartney , shame Phil Collins saw him other yr , esitated because off health , got a ticket last min , did not regret , what a performance so chris Martin ,… Read more »