The Elbow frontman says “there should be a unit set up to make sure Glastonbury comes back safe, this year.”
Guy Garvey says the show must go on at Worthy Farm in 2021 safely while floating the idea of setting up a Glastonbury taskforce of sorts in order.
The Elbow frontman told BBC Newscast earlier today (November 27) that the show must go on, saying: “I mean apart from anything else under these circumstances, festival season is what sustains all bands, all music – and also, that huge gathering on Worthy Farm, which is the envy of the world… that should be where we start.”
Garvey then suggested: “There should be a unit set up to make sure Glastonbury comes back safe, this year. I mean imagine the atmosphere and imagine the statement it would make – If we could bring that back, and if you could say: ‘hey, and it’s safe!’ You know?”
The singer-songwriter/radio presenter went on to praise Michael, Emily and Nick, saying “The Eavis’s throw the best party in the world, year on year.” – You can listen to Garvey’s full comments on Glastonbury Festival below.
“Think of the statement it would make…”
So is it time for Guy Garvey’s Glastonbury Taskforce? The Elbow frontman tells #BBCNewscast the show must go on at Worthy Farm in 2021.
— BBC Sounds (@BBCSounds) November 27, 2020
Last month, Glastonbury Festival‘s General Counsel for over 26 years, Ben Challis, discusses the cancellation of Glastonbury 2020 and plans for 2021 – confirming that the Festival is “still looking at June 2021”.
Challis words echoed organiser Emily Eavis’ comments back in August when she said: “For those who have been asking, we have no plans to move next year’s Glastonbury to September 2021 – we’re still very much aiming for June.”
Meanwhile, Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis recently spoke about the challenges that the Festival faces with COVID-19 and some possible measures which could be put in place for Glastonbury 2021, saying: “The testing is going so well now, there could be massive testing arrangements…”
Glastonbury was set to celebrate its 50th anniversary this summer down on Worthy Farm – with headliners in Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Paul McCartney – but was forced to cancel this year’s instalment due to the coronavirus outbreak just a week after the lineup was announced back in March.
In a message from organisers, announcing the Festival’s cancellation, Michael and Emily Eavis explained that cancelling this year’s event was their “only viable option” following “new government measures” to prevent the spread of the pandemic – saying: “We’re so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.”
The news of the cancellation was followed by a joint announcement from Glastonbury Festival and the BBC informing fans they could expect a celebratory run of programming across the Glasto-weekend – titled ‘The Glastonbury Experience’ – which eventually surpassed 10 million streams of content on BBC iPlayer, with thousands more having watched past sets broadcast on TV.
In looking ahead to next year’s event – set to take place at its natural home in Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset, from Wednesday 23th to Sunday 27th June – here’s everything we know about the 2021 instalment thus far.Advertisement