Now Reading
Emily Eavis responds to rumours: Glastonbury 2021 “not cancelled yet!”

Emily Eavis responds to rumours: Glastonbury 2021 “not cancelled yet!”

It comes after Eavis said the Glastonbury team were “a long way” from being able to confirm the 2021 event but are doing everything they can to ensure it takes place next year.

Following recent rumours of Glastonbury allegedly being set to cancel its 2021 edition, Festival co-organiser Emily Eavis has taken to Twitter to shed some light on the matter.

Advertisement

Earlier this morning (Monday, December 21), a Twitter account named ‘Glastonbury 2021 vs Covid’- who claimed to have insider info into the Festival – said that Glastonbury 2021 had been cancelled.

The anonymous account was set up earlier this month, describing themselves as “an undercover Glastonbury insider”, while also “not on the payroll of Glastonbury Festival itself, but works in close partnership on the production side”.

It took only a little over than an hour for Glastonbury co-organiser Emily Eavis to decisively quash the rumours – First by responding in a reply tweet confirming that Glastonbury is: “Not cancelled yet!”, which was followed by a statement issued via her official Twitter account, stating: “Appreciate lots of rumours are flying around online and in the press, but there’s no change to what I said in the BBC interview last week. We’ll let you know through official channels as soon as we have an update (which won’t be until the new year).”

Although at the moment there is still a considerable degree of uncertainty around next summer’s festivals and the whole live music scene in general as the pandemic continues to unfold – as for the time being, Glastonbury Festival has yet to be cancelled.

Advertisement

Glastonbury was set to celebrate its 50th anniversary this summer down on Worthy Farm – with headliners in Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Paul McCartney – but was forced to cancel this year’s instalment due to the coronavirus outbreak just a week after the lineup was announced back in March.

While the cancellation was officially confirmed at around 11 AM on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 – the news managed to leak and started circulating the web the evening prior, after Eavis’ family members shared the news on their personal social media accounts.

In a message from organisers, announcing the Festival’s cancellation, Michael and Emily Eavis explained that cancelling this year’s event was their “only viable option” following “new government measures” to prevent the spread of the pandemic – saying: “We’re so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.”

The news of the cancellation was followed by a joint announcement from Glastonbury Festival and the BBC informing fans they could expect a celebratory run of programming across the Glasto-weekend – titled ‘The Glastonbury Experience’ – which eventually surpassed 10 million streams of content on BBC iPlayer, with thousands more having watched past sets broadcast on TV.

Advertisement

Earlier this week Glastonbury co-organiser Emily Eavis told the BBC that they are doing “everything we can” to ensure it takes place next year.

She said: “The hard part is understanding exactly what we’ll be planning for, and what impact that will have on what we’re able to do. But right now I’m not sure there’s anything we could do that would completely ensure we can welcome 200,000 people to spend six days in some fields in June 2021.”

Eavis also noted that if the festival could not happen in its traditional form, the organisers will consider inviting artists to perform on the farm for a series of live streams.

Advertisement
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments