A roundup of what’s being said about Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary possible cancellation due to the novel coronavirus
Glastonbury organisers have said they are continuing to plan and prepare for the 2020 edition of the Festival amid the ongoing spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
As things stand at the time of writing, the Worthy Farm-held event – which will be celebrating its 50th-anniversary this summer, from Wednesday, June 24 through Sunday, June 28 – is set to go ahead, after the line-up poster and first wave of artists was released last week (Thursday, March 12).
Looking at official statements from Glastonbury’s organisers, we know that the Festival is currently working with relevant agencies, including Public Health England and the NHS, and closely monitoring developments with the coronavirus situation.
Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s Head of Event Operations, said in a statement earlier this month (March 3): “Glastonbury Festival thoroughly plans each year’s event, and puts in place all necessary measures to protect the public and maximise safety.
“We work closely with all of the relevant agencies, including Public Health England and the NHS, and always review our plans as any circumstances change.
“With this in mind and with our 2020 Festival still 16 weeks away, we continue to plan and prepare for the event, whilst at the same time closely monitoring developments with the coronavirus situation.”
Glastonbury organiser, Emily Eavis, issued a message to Glasto-goers via Instagram on poster revelation day (March 12), saying: “So, after much consideration given the current circumstances, and with the best of intentions, here is the first list of musical acts for Glastonbury 2020.
“As things stand we are still working hard to deliver our 50th anniversary Festival in June and we are very proud of the bill that we have put together over the last year or so.
“No one has a crystal ball to see exactly where we will all be 15 weeks from now, but we are keeping our fingers firmly crossed that it will be here at Worthy Farm for the greatest show on Earth!
“As always this is just a taste of what is to come, we plan to announce many more artists and attractions, area by area, over the coming weeks leading up to the full line-up in May.
“In the meantime we post this with much love to all.”
Many events, including two other large UK music festivals – Download and Isle of Wight – are still due to take place in June prior to Glastonbury 2020.
In his first daily briefing on COVEID-19 (Monday, March 16), Boris Johnson explained how the government was “emphatically moving away from” mass gatherings – however, he did not say they have been officially banned by the UK government outright.
Following the news of cancellations and postponed events from other arts and entertainment festivals due to coronavirus fears – most notably Coachella and SXSW in the US – there’s a lot of speculation and hearsay regarding whether Glastonbury will actually go ahead or not.
On a side note, and for what its worth – we would strongly recommend being patient at these times of uncertainty, as the whole events industry is in utter and complete turmoil at the moment.
Emily Eavis, Michael Eavis and the whole amazing team behind this world-wonder which we all love and admire so much known as Glastonbury Festival are working hard, day and night, to come up with the best solution for this unforeseen situation and will most likely make an official announcement when they’re ready to do so.