Now Reading
Glastonbury Festival allays worries of cancellation due to coronavirus

Glastonbury Festival allays worries of cancellation due to coronavirus

Planning and preparation for Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary continue full steam ahead…

Glastonbury Festival has responded to worries that the event could be affected by the coronavirus outbreak.

Concern has been raised by some Glasto-goers after chief medical officer Chris Whitty warned that “reducing mass gatherings” might be appropriate amid the spread of novel coronavirus AKA COVID-19.

Advertisement

The Government’s action plan, published this morning (March 3), said “population distancing strategies” that will be considered will include “reducing the number of large scale gatherings”.

That being said, the Festival, which will be celebrating its 50th anniversary this June, has said it is continuing to plan and prepare for the event.

According to Somerset Live – Adrian Coombs, Glastonbury Festival’s Head of Event Operations, said: “Glastonbury Festival thoroughly plans each year’s event, and puts in place all necessary measures to protect the public and maximise safety.

“We work closely with all of the relevant agencies, including Public Health England and the NHS, and always review our plans as any circumstances change.

“With this in mind and with our 2020 Festival still 16 weeks away, we continue to plan and prepare for the event, whilst at the same time closely monitoring developments with the coronavirus situation.”

More than 200,000 people (including staff) are expected to descend on Worthy Farm in Pilton, Somerset for the five-day event.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Lana Del Rey was the 4th act to be officially confirmed for playing Glastonbury later this summer and joins Taylor Swift who was the second headliner and third artist to be announced for the 2020 edition of the Festival – after Paul McCartney, and Diana Ross who was officially confirmed earlier last year as Glastonbury’s 50-anniversary ‘Legends’ slot performer.

Also confirmed for the bill are Wolf Alice who were announced as playing Glastonbury’s big 5-0 by non-other than Glasto founder, Michael Eavis himself.

Mike SkinnerCarl CoxFun Lovin’ Criminals, Crowded HouseClairoBurna Boy and most recently Jesse Malin are some of the latest artists to self-confirm for the Festival’s 2020 bill thus far.

Despite the fact that the full line-up for Glastonbury 2020 has yet to be released – all tickets for the Festival’s 50th anniversary have now sold out, with General Admission tickets selling out in 33 minutes, following Coach + Ticket Packages which sold out in just 27 minutes.

There are still ways to go to Glastonbury this year, and in addition to being able to volunteer or enter the various competitions – there will also be a resale of any cancelled tickets in the spring, with coach + ticket packages going up for resale on April 16 – followed by a general admission tickets resale on April 19.

Glastonbury 2020 will take place at Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset – from Wednesday 24th to Sunday 28th June.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Advertisement
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x