The Glastonbury Festival founder sounds more determinedly optimistic than ever!
An exclusive Michael Eavis video popped up on YouTube earlier today (Wednesday, December 23), in which sees the legendary farmer comment on the possibility of Glastonbury 2021 going ahead.
In the 29-seconds-long video, filmed this morning at a village competition in Croscombe, Eavis was asked by Claire Sully whether he thinks he will be given a lot of business next year, to which – sounding more optimistic than ever – he replied: “Oh yeah we’ll be up and running next year. Oh yeah definitely, we’re going flat out.”
Adding: “People are saying ‘no you can’t do it, you can’t do it’ – but wait and see. Wait and see… 25th of June and millions of people down at Pilton… You wait and see. It’s going to happen.” (Watch the full video clip below).
Glastonbury was set to celebrate its 50th anniversary this summer down on Worthy Farm – with headliners in Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Paul McCartney – but was forced to cancel this year’s instalment due to the coronavirus outbreak just a week after the lineup was announced back in March.
While the cancellation was officially confirmed at around 11 AM on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 – the news managed to leak and started circulating the web the evening prior, after Eavis’ family members shared the news on their personal social media accounts.
In a message from organisers, announcing the Festival’s cancellation, Michael and Emily Eavis explained that cancelling this year’s event was their “only viable option” following “new government measures” to prevent the spread of the pandemic – saying: “We’re so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.”
The news of the cancellation was followed by a joint announcement from Glastonbury Festival and the BBC informing fans they could expect a celebratory run of programming across the Glasto-weekend – titled ‘The Glastonbury Experience’ – which eventually surpassed 10 million streams of content on BBC iPlayer, with thousands more having watched past sets broadcast on TV.
Earlier this week Glastonbury co-organiser Emily Eavis told the BBC that they are doing “everything we can” to ensure it takes place next year.
She said: “The hard part is understanding exactly what we’ll be planning for, and what impact that will have on what we’re able to do. But right now I’m not sure there’s anything we could do that would completely ensure we can welcome 200,000 people to spend six days in some fields in June 2021.”
Eavis also noted that if the festival could not happen in its traditional form, the organisers will consider inviting artists to perform on the farm for a series of live streams.Advertisement