Now Reading
Noel Gallagher says cancelling Glastonbury 2020 due to COVID-19 “was for the best”

Noel Gallagher says cancelling Glastonbury 2020 due to COVID-19 “was for the best”

The Chief has shared his thoughts on the decision to postpone Glastonbury’s 50th-anniversary celebrations amid coronavirus outbreak, where he was due to perform this summer

Noel Gallagher has said it was right for Glastonbury 2020 to be cancelled.

Last week (March 18), Glastonbury Festival announced the cancellation of its 2020 instalment, postponing its 50th-anniversary celebrations until 2021 due to the coronavirus outbreak – Michael and Emily Eavis confirmed in a statement that it was “[their] only viable option.”

The legendary Festival was set to be held at Worthy Farm in Pilton, Somerset – from Wednesday, June 24 through Sunday, June 28 – after the line-up poster and first wave of artists was released earlier in the month (March 12) which included Diana Ross, Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift, Lana Del, Kendrick Lamar, Noel Gallagher and many more.

Advertisement

In a call-in to Radio X’s ‘Matt Morgan’s Funny How?’ podcast this week, the Oasis songwriter shared his views on self-isolating and the cancellation of Glastonbury amid the pandemic.

Asked how he feels about not being able to play the legendary Festival this year, Gallagher said: “I thought it’s for the best that it was cancelled.

“It wasn’t unexpected that it was going to get cancelled, and it’s better that it did.”

However, quizzed about whether he stands to lose any money from the festival slot, the This Is The Place singer joked: “No, no, no. ‘Cause you don’t get paid anyway!”

“The rest of the shows, I was kinda looking forward to them actually,” added Gallagher, when speaking about his other postponed live dates.

“I haven’t played for like six months and it was going to be nice to get back into it, but what can you do?”

You can listen to episode 10 of Matt Morgan’s podcast in full here – Glastonbury talks stats around the 14:47 time-stamp.

Following the sad news of the Festival’s cancellation, the BBC has announced plans to broadcast “a celebration of Glastonbury” this June.

Glastonbury Festival has become one of the most celebrated cultural events in the UK and indeed the world, since its humble beginnings as a gathering of 1,500 people in September 1970. It has grown into an event with more than 200,000 attendees (including staff), and its 50th anniversary year was set to be a vintage edition and a very special one at that.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Advertisement
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x