Now Reading
Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift discuss Glastonbury’s 50th and what could have been

Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift discuss Glastonbury’s 50th and what could have been

The ex-Beatle reveals he would’ve asked Taylor Swift to join him on stage at Glastonbury 2020

Paul McCartney has revealed he was planning on asking Taylor Swift to join him on stage at what would’ve been Glastonbury Festival‘s 50th anniversary.

Participating in what is the first in a series of new conversations between artists – hosted by Rolling Stone – McCartney and Swift talk about songwriting secrets, making albums at home, and what they’ve learned during the pandemic, amongst other things.

Advertisement

Swift pointed out that if this year had gone the way that they thought it was going to go, she and McCartney would have played Glastonbury this year, and instead, they both made albums in isolation.

The American star said that “it would’ve been so fun to play Glastonbury for the 50th anniversary together”, to which Macca replied: “It would’ve been great, wouldn’t it? And I was going to be asking you to play with me.”

The conversation continued:

Swift: “Were you going to invite me? I was hoping that you would. I was going to ask you.”

McCartney: “I would’ve done “Shake It Off.”

Swift: “Oh, my God, that would have been amazing.”

You can read the full exchange between the two stars here.

Advertisement

Last month, Glastonbury Festival‘s General Counsel for over 26 years, Ben Challis, discusses the cancellation of Glastonbury 2020 and plans for 2021 – confirming that the Festival is “still looking at June 2021”.

Challis words echoed organiser Emily Eavis’ comments back in August when she said: “For those who have been asking, we have no plans to move next year’s Glastonbury to September 2021 – we’re still very much aiming for June.”

Meanwhile, Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis recently spoke about the challenges that the Festival faces with COVID-19 and some possible measures which could be put in place for Glastonbury 2021, saying: “The testing is going so well now, there could be massive testing arrangements…”

Advertisement

Glastonbury was set to celebrate its 50th anniversary this summer down on Worthy Farm – with headliners in Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Paul McCartney – but was forced to cancel this year’s instalment due to the coronavirus outbreak just a week after the lineup was announced back in March.

In a message from organisers, announcing the Festival’s cancellation, Michael and Emily Eavis explained that cancelling this year’s event was their “only viable option” following “new government measures” to prevent the spread of the pandemic – saying: “We’re so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.”

The news of the cancellation was followed by a joint announcement from Glastonbury Festival and the BBC informing fans they could expect a celebratory run of programming across the Glasto-weekend – titled ‘The Glastonbury Experience’ – which eventually surpassed 10 million streams of content on BBC iPlayer, with thousands more having watched past sets broadcast on TV.

In looking ahead to next year’s event – set to take place at its natural home in Worthy Farm, Pilton, Somerset, from Wednesday 23th to Sunday 27th June – here’s everything we know about the 2021 instalment thus far.

Advertisement
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments