The cancellation of Glastonbury’s 2021 instalment is allegedly “true” according to a production worker at the Festival
Last updated: December 21
Rumours of whether or not Glastonbury Festival will go ahead in 2021 due to the ramifications of the ongoing Covid-19 crises continue to intensify following a string of mysterious tweets.
A Twitter account by the name of ‘Glastonbury 2021 vs Covid’ – which appeared on the scene just earlier this month – has posted a thread of tweets this morning (Monday, December 21), essentially saying that the cancellation of Glastonbury 2021 is imminent.
The anonymous Twitter account – describing themselves as “an undercover Glastonbury insider”- points out that its “not on the payroll of Glastonbury Festival itself, but works in close partnership on the production side”.
The cryptic Twitter account had previously claimed “state of play discussions” would take place today, and then posted the statement at 9:55 AM this morning – the full series of tweets read as follows: “I’m afraid it’s true. Official statements to be drawn up in due course but there is no Glastonbury 2021. Crucially, ticket holders get to retain their tickets One 2020 headliner provisionally in agreement to headline 2022.”
“The festival will express their regret and sadness at the necessity to do this whilst also looking forward to 2022. The welfare of the staff who would be working from March onwards as well as the punters is paramount.”
“Devastating news, however, we would hope that 2022 is nailed on. And what a party that will be. I should add that I’m not on the payroll of Glastonbury Festival itself, but work in close partnership on the production side – therefore I do not officially speak for them.”
“There are some great ideas for an alternative broadcast event. All far too early in their infancy to be anything worth getting excited for”
We would like to emphasise that as of the time of writing, Glastonbury Festival has yet to officially confirm the cancellation of the 2021 instalment and any rumours should be treated as such – rumours.
Beginning of December 21
Following the cryptic tweet – Glastonbury Festival co-organiser Emily Eavis responded to the rumours in a tweet of her own, confirming that Glastonbury is: “Not cancelled yet!”
Not cancelled yet!
— Emily Eavis (@emilyeavis) December 21, 2020
Glastonbury was set to celebrate its 50th anniversary this summer down on Worthy Farm – with headliners in Taylor Swift, Kendrick Lamar and Paul McCartney – but was forced to cancel this year’s instalment due to the coronavirus outbreak just a week after the lineup was announced back in March.
While the cancellation was officially confirmed at around 11 AM on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 – the news managed leaked and started circulating the web the evening prior, after Eavis’ family members shared the news on their personal social media accounts.
In a message from organisers, announcing the Festival’s cancellation, Michael and Emily Eavis explained that cancelling this year’s event was their “only viable option” following “new government measures” to prevent the spread of the pandemic – saying: “We’re so sorry that this decision has been made. It was not through choice. But we look forward to welcoming you back to these fields next year and until then, we send our love and support to all of you.”
The news of the cancellation was followed by a joint announcement from Glastonbury Festival and the BBC informing fans they could expect a celebratory run of programming across the Glasto-weekend – titled ‘The Glastonbury Experience’ – which eventually surpassed 10 million streams of content on BBC iPlayer, with thousands more having watched past sets broadcast on TV.
Earlier this week Glastonbury co-organiser Emily Eavis told the BBC that they are doing “everything we can” to ensure it takes place next year.
She said: “The hard part is understanding exactly what we’ll be planning for, and what impact that will have on what we’re able to do. But right now I’m not sure there’s anything we could do that would completely ensure we can welcome 200,000 people to spend six days in some fields in June 2021.”
Eavis also noted that if the festival could not happen in its traditional form, the organisers will consider inviting artists to perform on the farm for a series of live streams.Advertisement